Monday, July 25, 2011

Magazine Street Style


My plan was to take pictures of some of the great shopping and eating spots on Magazine Street on a recent trip to the great city of New Orleans. That did not happen because for the first time in my last 5 trips to NOLA, it rained the whole time I was there. Magazine Street and rain do not mix. While I had planned to walk up the street I ended up driving and while I planned to hop in an out of shops and galleries I only hit a few because I was soaking wet by the time I got to the door. With that being said.......

Magazine Street is one of the great urban residential shopping streets/districts in the country. Unless you are familiar with NOLA, you probably aren't too terribly familiar with Magazine. Gallery after gallery, boutique after boutique, restaurant after restaurant....Magazine has style that you can only find in NOLA. Here are some of the hot spots that I recommend from my recent visit to the Big Easy.

Eats

Sucre 3025 Magazine
The best macaroons outside of Paris.

Mahonys Po-Boys  3454 Magazine
One of the best in a town know for po-boys!
Velvet Espresso Bar 5637 Magazine
Blink and you will miss this tiny spot.
The Bulldog 3236 Magazine
Get your fill of Abita (and smoke) at this local pub.
My husband is a beer snob so I have been informed
that this is a place run by people who know real beer. 

Shopping

Scriptura 5423 Magazine
Wonderful stationary and writing instruments.
Lili Vintage Boutique 3329 Magazine
Beautifully restored vintage clothing. 

Nola's Ark  3640 Magazine
Cute and sassy children's clothes.

Tomato Clothing & Accessories
3319 Magazine
Cute, Cute, Cute Dresses!

Weinstein's  4011 Magazine
High End Ladies Clothing

Branch Out 2022 Magazine
Yes...a smidge hipster but this place has some
great vintage and sustainable finds.

Galleries & Antiques

Guy Lyman  3645 Magazine
Many price points and styles.
Octavia Gallery 4532 Magazine
Contemporary Paintings, Photography and Sculpture

Ann Koerner Antiques 4021 Magazine
A mixture of styles. Beautiful pieces. 

Patricia Thompson 3522 Magazine
Lots of ornamental pieces. 

Dunn & Sonnier  2138 Magazine
A little bit of everything.